Subject: How to remove extra newline in programlisting

Hi,

Thanks to the great documentation and this mailing list's archive I've
managed to complete a pretty straightforward transition from MS Word
to Docbook. So far everything is working brilliantly.

I am however running into a strange issue involving <programlisting>
elements in which the enclosed text is delimited by <![CDATA[...]]>.
When I convert from Docbook to PDF using oXygen (using the Saxon 6.5
transformer), my program listing's include two extra newlines at the
top and one at the bottom when the <programlisting>'s look like this:

<programlisting>
<![CDATA[
<?php echo $this->layout()->content; ?>
]]>
</programlisting>

A newline only appears at the top of the rendered listing when the
format looks like this:

<programlisting><![CDATA[
<?php echo $this->layout()->content; ?>
]]></programlisting>

The only way I can remove the superfluous newlines at both the top and
bottom is to format my program listings like this:

<programlisting><![CDATA[<?php echo $this->layout()->content; ?>
]]></programlisting>

As you can imagine, this is not ideal and opens up the possibility for
inadvertent editing errors.

Surely there is some way to fix this problem perhaps at the XSL
transformation stage?

Thank you!
Jason