Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] Custom numbering scheme for a DocBook document (legal style stylesheet)

You don't have to write a new template from scratch. You need to copy an
existing template to your customization layer and make a small modification
to it. In DocBook-XSL (and DBLaTeX too) it is the template with
match="section" and mode="label.markup" in common/labels.xsl. You need to
change

 <xsl:number format="{$format}" count="section"/>

 <xsl:number format="{$format}" count="section" level="any"/>

Mauritz