Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] acronyms, abbreviations, definitions

The glossentry element includes acronym and abbrev as valid children.  This is where it might be best to link the expansion of the acronym or abbreviation to the acronym or abbreviation (the expansion is in the glossterm).  A fairly simple extension of the transforms allowed us to have the acronym elements link to the appropriate glossentry automatically (we had glossterm.auto.link and glossentry.show.acronym set).

Getting expansion on hover or similar is slightly trickier, but not a major stretch (the match to the glossentry is already being made by the extended glossterm auto link code) by adding a title attribute with the content of the glossterm to the anchor element around the acronym in the output (at least in HTML).

The advantage of storing it centrally in the glossary is that the expansion doesn't have to be added to every instance of the acronym (while convention says it only needs to be expanded at "first occurrence," in electronic media, determining the "first occurrence" for a reader can be difficult so we frequently used an acronym tag the first time an acronym was used in a topic).  It also provides a mechanism for explaining what the expanded acronym means, since expansion is not always sufficient to explain why it matters.

Regards,
Larry Rowland

-----Original Message-----
From: Cramer, David W (David) [mailto:dcramer@motive.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2010 7:12 AM
To: n@n-faktor.net; docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Nathalie,
I once started to implement an acronym expanding xslt with the idea that I could write <acronym>TLA</acronym> and have the first occurrence automatically be expanded to "TLA (Three Letter Acronym)". Things were going fine till I hit "GNU" and ended up with GNU (GNU (GNU (...) is not Unix) is not Unix) ;-)

You might check out the Glossary database feature: http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/GlossDatabase.html

Then you could do <glossterm>UN</glossterm> and have the xslts automatically add a glossentry defining "United Nations"

David