Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Generating title for "link" element

Hello Bob & all,
> I'm not clear that this customization to copy the link element's text
> into the title attribute should be the default behavior.  It was my
> understanding that the title attribute was meant to add information
> about the target of the link. It would seem to me that copying the
> text of the link into the title attribute is not useful for that
> purpose.  I mean, the text is present in the link element, and would
> be read by the screen reader.  Duplicating that text in the title
> attribute would be redundant, wouldn't it?
Yes it would be redundant and highly undesirable from an accessibility
point of view to have link text duplicated in title-attribute, esp. as
default behaviour.

I just have been getting up-to-date on this topic via accessibility
lists and literature:
Actually, the very best practice with links is to have a descriptive
word or phrase as the visible link text (including an accessible
indication if the link is site external).

Since title-tag visibility is very variable between user agents
(browser,screen reader + indiv. settings) and user requirements (e.g.
low vision: title tooltip text doesn't resize),
the information in title should, in the best case, be a dispensable bit
of extra information.

HTH
Nathalie

--