Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Tag to not break at hyphen

On Tue, October 25, 2011 11:30 am, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> I'm trying to tell the processor and FO *not* to break at a hyphen for
> the word '-Wformat-security'. I searched the reference
> (http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html/part2.html) for a tag relating to
> breaks, but did not see anything like <nobreak>. <literallayout> was
> close, but it added an extra linefeed (which I don't want).

You could put "&#x2060;" (U+2060, WORD JOINER) or, failing that,
"&#xFEFF;" (U+FEFF, ZERO WIDTH NO-BREAK SPACE) after the "-".

WORD JOINER stops word breaks and has zero width; ZERO WIDTH NO-BREAK
SPACE does the same thing, much more descriptively, but it has another
role as the byte-order mark, so WORD JOINER was added in Unicode 3.2 as
the preferred, non-overloaded alternative.  Some software may not
recognise WORD JOINER but will recognise ZERO WIDTH NO-BREAK SPACE, but it
would be more ideologically correct to try WORD JOINER first.

(And if all you see from my suggestions is "", it will be because your
mail program is interpreting the numeric character references: reconstruct
them by changing "U+nnnn" Unicode character references to "&#xnnnn;".)

Regards,

Tony Graham                                   tgraham@mentea.net
Consultant                                 http://www.mentea.net
Mentea       13 Kelly's Bay Beach, Skerries, Co. Dublin, Ireland
    XML, XSL FO and XSLT consulting, training and programming