Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] [GSOC] About DocBook WebHelp Project

Hi Visitha,

On 30 Mar 2012, at 03:19 p.m., Visitha Baddegama <visithauom@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi David, Stefan, and Kasun,

Since past few days I had our 3rd year individual project evaluations,
I could not keep actively this thread..It was finished yesterday and
now I have more time to involve with webhelp project..But during my
last busy days, I have gone through lot of resources about webhelp and
got familiar with docbook and webhelp..

To further your exploration, if you like IDEs and build-in
convenience, you should check out the oXygen XML Editor [1]. It's
commercial, but they're generous with licenses for people working on
open source projects. They also include Webhelp from the previous GSoC
and the webhelp output in the svn tree [2] includes code that they
have contributed back. oXygen includes assisted authoring for writing
DocBook documents, xslts, xproc pipelines, etc.

As David said,  I downloaded oXygen XML Editor. Even though I
downloaded it I could not go through it too much..I will get familiar
with it as soon as possible..

No hurry! :-) Do this when you find some time. IDEs are there to make your life easier. Since you are a beginner to XSL, get to it probably in the last weeks of Community Bonding Period. It's like what we were taught when learning Java. Using IDEs in the beginning makes people less thinkers.

I'd encourage you to explore XPath and XSLT. XSLT can be a bit
mind-bending at first, but is fun and powerful in the long run. Use
some resources on the web. The DocBook xsls are a great way to learn
xslt since they exercise so many features.

I followed a great tutorial about XPath and XSLT and gathered good
background knowledge about both of them..According to my point of
view, XPath is a language which is used to navigate through the XML
documents and XSLT is used to transform XML documents into XHTML or
any other type of document. Now I familiar with lots of XSLT and XPath
Elements, their usages and developed a XML and XSL documents my self
and converted them to HTML. Then what should I follow about Webhelp's
technologies?

That's great. Since the project evaluations are over, I hope you will now be able to keep us updated about your progress!

But before all that additional exploration, your real next step is to
put together a proposal!

I made a draft proposal for webhelp project as a Google doc  and
shared it.When I get more details about Webhelp and its features, I
will update it properly. And I will appreciate very much if you can
guide me to create a strong proposal to webhelp.

I think you already know the basic things needed for the proposal. Things like following the template, get mentors' help when in doubt etc. Please specify what you just told us about your explorations too in the proposal. We will be able to better assist you if you be specific about the issues you have.

Will you be able to provide the samples you created? Just rough work is fine.

addition to the ideas on the Webhelp ideas
page on the xmlpress wiki [6]. I'll be happy to priorities the
features presented there, and others on this list using webhelp will
have their own ideas on what should be added, changed, or improved in
webhelp and what the priorities should be.

I have gone through the priority feature list and searched about some
of them. To get more knowledge about these features, what should I do?

Well, when you are done reading the documentation, and freshen up about the technologies needed, you must start understanding the code. That's the only way (after webhelp documentation), to understand about these webhelp specifc tasks we asked from you. And, the developer docs doesn't cover every aspects. We will definitely help out, but for the sake of the Google Summer Code competition, we expect your commitment on this first. Where's all the fun and excitement if all the things are spoon-fed? ;-)

As the time goes on further, we'll clear your mind starting probably from the webhelp directory structure in svn tree, and specifics about webhelp.xsl.

What are the resources I should follow.?
Now I am going to read webhelp documentation, gather knowledge about
XProc and do some GUI testing of webhelp in different browsers. I have
found some differences in different browsers and I will inform you
about them in near future. Since now I have more time to dedicate to
this project, please advise me to get more knowledge about Webhelp
project..

Why are you interested in XProc? I don't see the need of it for webhelp!
Again, I point you to the source code here.

Cheers,
--Kasun

~~--~~
Sending this mail via my phone. Do excuse any typo or short replies.

Thank you in advance..!!

--
Visitha Warna Baddegama
Undergraduate