Subject: Programlistingco issue

We had an earlier conversation about using area spec with
programlistingco and how it would not work giving coordinates, and
arrived to examples like the one below:

<example xml:id="basic.docbook">
<title>Minimal Docbook document</title>
<programlistingco>
<programlisting>&lt;?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?&gt; <co
xml:id="xml.decl"/>
&lt;book <co xml:id="docbook.root"/>
	xmlns='http://docbook.org/ns/docbook' <co xml:id="default.namespace"/>
	xmlns:xlink='http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink' <co xml:id="xlink.namespace"/>
	version="5.0" xml:lang="en"&gt;
&lt;title&gt;Using From Docbook to ePub and Kindle too&lt;/title&gt;
<co xml:id="book.title"/>
&lt;info&gt;
	&lt;author&gt; <co xml:id="docbook.author"/>
		&lt;personname&gt;
			&lt;firstname&gt;Carlos&lt;/firstname&gt;
			&lt;surname&gt;Araya&lt;/surname&gt;
		&lt;/personname&gt;
	&lt;/author&gt;
	&lt;/info&gt;
&lt;chapter&gt;
&lt;title&gt;Required Title&lt;/title&gt;

&lt;para&gt;Required paragraph.&lt;/para&gt;

&lt;/chapter&gt;
&lt;/book&gt;
</programlisting>
<calloutlist>
	<callout arearefs="xml.decl"><para>The Docbook file is an XML
document and this marks it as such.</para></callout>
	<callout arearefs="docbook.root"><para>This is the root of the
Docbook document.</para></callout>
	<callout arearefs="default.namespace"><para>The namespace declaration
without a prefix will be used for all elements without an explicit
prefix. This means that all elements without a prefix are, by default,
in the Docbook namespace.</para></callout>
	<callout arearefs="xlink.namespace"><para>We define xlink explicitly.
Xlink is used in the &lt;link&gt; element to create
hyperlinks.</para></callout>
	<callout arearefs="docbook.author"><para>This is how Docbook expects
to see an author.</para></callout>
</calloutlist>
</programlistingco>
</example>

When switching to Jing as my validator I get the following error for
all the programco examples.

/Users/carlos/experiment/docbook-epub/docbook-howto.xml:76:17: error:
element "programlisting" not allowed yet; missing required element
"areaspec"

I've worked around this by inserting a dummy areaspec tag and its
children. Is there a way for me to eliminate the need to have areaspec
as part of programlistinco? Is there a reason why I need to have the
areaspec in an example that doesn't use them? Am I missing anything?

Carlos