Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] WYSIWYG Editor for docbook

On 8/12/2012 5:10 PM, Paul Taylor wrote:
On 12/08/2012 23:41, Richard Hamilton wrote:

There are a bunch of very good visual editors out there that will
handle DocBook. The one I know best is Oxygen
(http://www.oxygenxml.com/), which works very well with DocBook.

Goodness, this product is well overpriced

If you're looking at it as a DocBook word processor, sure. But oXygen does quite a bit more than that. Check out the feature matrix:

	http://www.oxygenxml.com/feature_matrix.html

oXygen Author is priced appropriately for what it is: a piece of a high end publication system.

Not that I'm trying to arm-twist you into buying it. I, too, would be happy to see a plain "word processor for DocBook."

That is, something without a lot of formatting power, which simply happened to use .dbx to store its data. The main difference between such a program and a "normal" word processor would flow from DocBook's content vs. presentation separation: it would do a lot more to force you toward styles rather than ad hoc formatting, and you wouldn't have the option of things like free-floating layout frames. I think to get a low price like you're looking for, you'd also have to give up on the ability to edit stylesheets.

There's kind of a slippery slope here, the sort that caused the desktop databases most PC users had in the 80s to disappear:

 o People keep pushing the tool to do vastly more complicated things
   than the tool was designed for.

 o The developers add features to address the demand.

 o The tool becomes too complicated for normals to understand so
   demand from that quarter drops off.

 o The developer raises the prices and shoots for the high end market.

What you get is a world where people believe Excel is a database, and {insert favorite text editor here} is a DocBook editor.