Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] support for xpointer

I have had success using xmllint to access nodes using xpath.

I can't tell you how well it supports xpath, but I am able to do things like the example below, which turns a chapter into a preface and changes the title.

  <preface>
      <title>Preface</title>
      <xi:include href="ebook-intro.xml"
                xpointer="xmlns(d=http://docbook.org/ns/docbook)xpointer(/d:chapter/d:info/following-sibling::*))"/>

  </preface>

I vaguely remember being told that the support for xinclude in xmllint is neither complete nor standard, so I wouldn't expect the markup above to work for any other tool, but xmllint does what I need:-).

Regarding the question of pulling the second listitem from a section with a particular id, I think the following will do the trick (I don't claim it's the most elegant way to do this, but it works with xmllint):

  <xi:include href="filename.xml"
              xpointer="xmlns(d=http://docbook.org/ns/docbook)xpointer(//d:section[@xml:id='sect-a']//d:listitem[2]))"/>

Best regards,
Dick