Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] How to make chemical structure automatically numbered

Hi,

Am Freitag, 12. Oktober 2018, 15:46:50 CEST schrieb Bernhard Kleine:

> @Peter: It seems that figure is a valid element, however, the numbering
> of figure for structures would conflict with the numbering a normal
> figure. As long as there is no possible was to have a "proprietary"
> counter for structures (as figures) structures do not have an
> independent numbering. I wonder since there are an awful lot of chemical
> papers where there is an independent list of structures, that none of
> them has been prepared with docbook. Otherwise there would be a solution
> already.

As I've pointed out in my last mail (coincidentally sent at the same time),
you could use <equation>.

However, I see the following solutions in regards to numbering:

1. Use <equation> or <equation condition="chem">
   Pros:
    * if the book doesn't contain any normal equation, it's easy to apply
    * no schema customization
    * no stylesheet customization needed

   Cons:
    * Not sure if you want to label your chemical structure as "Equation"
      (can be fixed)
    * More stylesheet customization is needed, if you need to distinguish
      between numbering of a normal equation and numbering of a chemical
      structure

2. Use <figure condition="chem">
   Same as equation, it's just a matter of taste which one do you prefer.
   The same pros and cons apply.

3. Create your own element (<chemical>?); creating DocBook RNG customization
   Pro:
    * free to design what structure you really need
    * easy with the help of RELAX NG
    * independent of any numbering of figure or equation

   Cons:
    * not be DocBook compatible anymore; to validate, you need your
      own schema
    * you need to write a customization layer for the DocBook XSL
      stylesheets

I hope I haven't misunderstood your ideas. Does that make sense?

> @Thomas: since the structures are svg as well as most figure in my book,
> I have considered svg. However, than I would lable a contruct of
> structures, but not the individual ones. Coming from LaTeX, the
> numbering of figures was always a simple use of apropriate macros.

I also come from a LaTeX background. ;)

--
GruÃ/Regards
  Thomas Schraitle