Subject: Canonical DocBook

Hello List,

I would like to propose a project "canonical DocBook" to the DocBook TC, and I am interested in the opinion of this mailing list. I hope this is the right list.

DocBook is a great system for creating technical documents. We use it successfully for various purposes, which include transformation to formats other than HTML and PDF. For example, we work with stylesheets for transformation into ODF and into NISO-STS.

Here, the flexibility of DocBook schemas is problematic, because it increases complexity. To give a very simple example, the title of a section is valid both with and without an enclosing info element. A template for transforming the title element must account for both possibilities.

Our own stylesheets are therefore divided into at least phases. First, the input document is transformed into a uniform structure. This would ensure, for example, that each title element is always contained in an info element. In a second step, the document is converted into the target format. The advantage of this method is that the transformation of the second phase can be made much easier.

As far as I can see, the XSL 3 stylesheets for XslTNG are also similar in structure. These are certainly much more professional, comprehensive and systematic in design. So there is a point in these stylesheets where the input document is in a sort of "canonical DocBook". However, this canonical format is not documented.

My suggestion is that the DocBook TC standardize and document the canonical DocBook format. Subsequently, stylesheets for transforming valid DocBook 5 documents into the canonical format would be published - possibly these already exist, as part of the XslTNG stylesheets. The advantage would be that other projects could more easily transform canonical docbook to other formats. They would be able to build on a standard, documented DocBook format of lower complexity.

Besides the simple example of the title elements, canonical DocBook would have to consider the following aspects, among others:

para/simpara: canonical DocBook should only support simpara. para with block-content (tables, lists) must be transformed into a sequence of simpara and other block-content.

Tables: In canonical DocBook, each table must have table column specifications. Default values are replaced by explicit values. Spanspec elements are converted to corresponding column start and end positions. Each cell of a table must have information about its position within the table, so that it is possible to determine at which column it starts and where it ends without complex calculations. Content of table cell must be element only.

Images: Each image must have at least the attributes for image size and scaling.

emphasis: explicit values instead of default values (e. g. role='bold'). A list of values for role which must be supported (bold, italic, underline).

Lists: explicit values instead of default values (e. g. numeration for orderedlist).

Of course, this task could be exceedingly difficult if we were on a greenfield site. I hope that in reality it will be less difficult if we take XslTNG stylesheets as a basis. And accept the format generated in them for the intermediate result after simplifying the structure as a basis for canonical DocBook standardization.

I would be very interested in the opinion of the members of this list on this proposal.

Sincerely
Frank Steimke

P. S. This text was translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version) from german language.