Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Canonical DocBook

Norm Tovey-Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> wrote on Mon, 28 Feb 2022 07:55:56
+0000:

> HTML doesnât allow it either, which is why Iâve mostly trained myself
> not to do it. But it irritates me on a regular basis:
>
> <para>As you can see:
> <orderedlist>
> [...]
> </orderedlist>
> demonstrating that this paragraph logically contains the preceding
> list.</para>

Another example is math formatted as a displayed block
(<(informal)equation>). In most cases such math is logically part of the
enclosing paragraph. LaTeX is sensitive to this distinction, and docbook
-> LaTeX -> PDF is a popular processing path. Losing the ability to
enclose displayed math within a paragraph would lead to visibly-wrong
typesetting.

Justus