Subject: Embedding DocBook â PDF transformation in a Java web app

Hello,

I'm at the proof-of-concept phase of building some DocBook â PDF transformation into a web application. Our requirements are quite modest, and I've built a customisation layer over the 1.79.2 stylesheets for the moment, though could happily use the xslt20 stylesheets if more appropriate.

What I want to do, at least in the first instance, is run this entirely within the web app's JVMâthat is, no calling out to external tools or services. Additionally, I want the stylesheets and customisations to live in a JAR, not on any local filesystem. As a quick and dirty test, I've put the custom stylesheets in src/main/resources/xsl, and then the entire docbook-xsl-1.79.2 directory in there as well. I'm just using JUnit 5 (in Eclipse) to run some test code against this idea. Using Saxon HE-12.3, I can't get any further than loading the top-level customisation stylesheet (by getting an InputStream from getResourceAsStream() and wrapping that in a StreamSource). Trying to import anything else results in a range of failure modes.

I can be more specific about what I've tried, and how it fails, but obviously this isn't a Java mailing list. For now, can anyone (a) tell me whether this is likely to succeed, or whether there's a better approach, or (b) even better, point me at an example of this working in the wild?

--
Paul Hoadley
https://logicsquad.net/