docbook-comment message

Subject: Re: [docbook-comment] Honorific element formatting placement via an attribute

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

On Tue, 27 Oct 2015 09:23:03 +0900
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> wrote:

> "Karl O. Pinc" <kop@meme.com> writes:
> > This has been a problem for me.  The "role"
> > attribute can always be used and some
> > custom solution kludged together but it
> > seems a good idea to address the issue
> > in a more formal manner.
>
> In what context are you doing this? One of the reasons to move to a
> looser content model for personname was to allow:

Yes.  Having names render in written order makes more sense
than an attribute.

Right now I'm always seeing honorific come first
in the following context:

Using DTD instead of relax_ng.

DocBook 5.0

Debian Jessie (8)

xsltproc
Using libxml 20901, libxslt 10128 and libexslt 817

<!DOCTYPE book SYSTEM
"/usr/share/xml/docbook/schema/dtd/5.0/docbook.dtd" [ ...
(from docbook5-xml.5.0-2, purportedly from
http://docbook.org/schemas/5x.html)

<book>
<dedication>
  <variablelist>
    <varlistentry>
    <varlistentry/>
    <varlistentry>
      <term>
        <author>
          <personname>
            <firstname>Karl</firstname>
            <othername>O.</othername>
            <surname>Pinc</surname>
	    <honorific>Foomeister</honorific>

I have also had the problem with: <book><info><authorgroup>
<authorgroup><author><personname> in Docbook 3 and 4.)

(I should perhaps be using <othercredit> rather than
<author>.  The roles people play are a little fuzzy.)

I have the problem both when generating HTML and PDFs.

HTML generation looks like:

xsltproc --nonet --xinclude \
         -o gombemi_system_html/ \
         --stringparam target.database.document "olinkdb.xml" \
         --stringparam current.docid "gombemi_system" \
         --stringparam chunker.output.indent "yes" \
         gombemi_system_cust.xsl gombemi_system.xml

My style sheet sets a bunch of params, and, until
my testing just now, messes with personname formatting.
I've been doing this, since DocBook 3.0 so I've forgotten
what I looked at to figure this out, by declaring
a <xsl:template name="person.name.first-last">.

I'm using dblatex to generate PDFs.  It has it's own
style sheets and does not use fo.  I think.  In any case my
person.name.first-last template works to change
personname output there too.

Regards,

Karl <kop@meme.com>
                 -- Robert A. Heinlein

P.S.  I'd be happy to move this to another list if it's
not appropriate content for docbook-comment.

P.P.S.  I was also disappointed to find that in
<dedication><variablelist><varlistentry><term><author>
that <personname> produces output but not
<email>, nor <affiliation><orgname>, nor
<uri>.