docbook-publishers message

Subject: Re: FW: [docbook-publishers] Legal citations (I'll stop after this!)

On 18/02/2008, Hanratty, John (LNG-LON) <john.hanratty@lexisnexis.co.uk> wrote:

> "E.g. could I mix up
> Peterborough City Court(Canada)
> with Peterborough City Court (UK)
> and finish up with the same citation reference?"
>
> Ideally those courts would each have a unique "court designation" -
> certainly a publisher would make sure they created one even if the
> bodies themselves hadn't taken the trouble to ensure uniqueness, most
> likely by adding an ISO country code to the court designation.

I'd guess most jurisdictions would presume (and be paid to) define
country local identities.
The ISO693-2 prefix would work there.
I'd be very cautious about a publisher generating them though.
Therein lies madness IMHO.

So IMO we
> probably don't need to worry, as long as we provide the mechanism to
> mark up the court designation as such.

I'm still against this proposal though, since I think it unlikely
its wider than US based?

Perhaps the more general application is that of
some form of hierarchy, then the docbook trick of making it
specific by using a role attribute?

Taking
case
name
year
court designation
opinion
paragraph

which of these are applicable to more widespread usage? John, can you help?

My *guess* would be
case (a vs b)
year
???
???
paragraph seems only to be the equivalent of an id on a para - are citations
wanted down to this level? Is this how they are used?

court
opinion

Perhaps a more general one might be
<location role="Peterborough Crown Court"/>
<opinion role=""/>

I'm less sure of the meaning here. John? Is this Judge Dread vs
supreme court Judge Johnson?
If so what might a more general entity than opinion?

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.