Subject: Re: Teleconference 18 May 2001

Hi Norm and TC,

I have a vagueish agenda item: metadata and maintaining docbook
chunks lower than, say, section-level elements.

DocBook has *info elements for holding metadataish info at the top
of high-level elements.  And it has (common) attributes for holding
metadataish info with every element.

Did we ever write down reasons for why we do one versus the other?

The specific issue HP is facing is how to manage chunks of XML/SGML
below the section level.  We're not sure we want to do this yet,
but we _might_ want to keep *info-like elements (keywords, abstract,
revision info, for example) on things like procedure or example
elements.  Does this seem reasonable?  How should we do it?

Here's an even larger issue: DocBook is still bookish, at least in
its higher-level elements (even 'section').  At one point Norm
mentioned the idea of a topic element to solve the procedure problem.
What would it take to make DocBook less bookish/paperish?  (And don't
say change the name to DocTopic!   Don't even think about 'DuckBook';
that didn't even get rid of the 'Book' part.)

Talk to you soon.

- Michael Sabrio
  Hewlett Packard
  973-443-7523