Subject: Re: [docbook-tc] Request to add effectivity attribute

Nancy P Harrison said:
> Hi Steve,
>
> Are you using all the effectivity attributes for something at this point?
> If not, could you alias one of the others to use for this?   We had a very
> similar issue, and we did decide to include word size, where necessary, in
> the 'os' attributes.  Are you saying you would need to have them in both
> sets of attributes, os and arch or in one of them?  I"m not sure I
> understand why they would need to be in both, since they really are an
> architecture iss rather than specifically an OS one.

Norm asked a similar question and my reply didn't make it to the list
because my email client is stupid.

The issue at hand is that some content applies to a combination of hardware
and word size (example: AMD + 64, Solaris & Linux) and other content applies
to a combination of operating system and word size (example: Solaris + 64,
all hardware).  Does that make sense?

> I mean, if you have a Sparc-9-64 architecure, could it be running either a
> 32- or 64-bit version of Solaris?

Yes.  All of our chips can run in 32-bit or 64-bit mode.

Steve Cogorno
Sun Microsystems