Subject: Re: [docbook-tc] Re: DocBook Charter

Nancy P Harrison wrote:

> On another topic, I have a question: who is the official 'owner' of the
> DocBook transforms?  The charter as written doesn't mention them, and
> though we deal with them in TC meetings, I realize that I've never been
> sure just where they sit, since the 'standard' site for them appears to be
> sourceforge.... Are they officially part of the TC work or not?  If they
> are, then the charter should include that also.

I think that DocBook XSL stylesheets was always promoted as a separate
product unrelated to OASIS DocBook TC. TC just defined markup vocabulary
and basic processing expectations. Stylesheets are just one possible
implementation of such processing expectations, although often
considered as a sort of 'unofficial' reference implementation.

I don't know whether there will be any benefits from taking stylesheets
under OASIS wings and making them reference implementation of DocBook.
Considering OASIS evolution that makes OASIS bigger and bigger
organisation with all drawbacks I can imagine that dealing with IPR and
other OASIS process policies related to deliverably like stylesheets
would be contraproductive compared to current very open and liberal
status of stylesheets (they are published under BSD-like license).

				Jirka

S/MIME Cryptographic Signature