Subject: Re: [docbook-tc] Re: DocBook Charter

/ Nancy P Harrison <nancyph@us.ibm.com> was heard to say:
| Thanks, Norm, for all the effort you've put into this.
|
| I like Michael's idea. I think it's a good idea to add the fact that
| DocBook is a de facto standard for open source software.

Ok, I'm crafting a new draft.

| We can think of it this way. If someone is just coming to the OASIS web
| site to see what's there, and they browse through the TCs, they're likely
| to start out with each TC's Charter, just because it will be the most
| succinct description.  So it gives them a better sense of what DocBook is
| if it has that information in it.

Yep.

| On another topic, I have a question: who is the official 'owner' of the
| DocBook transforms?  The charter as written doesn't mention them, and
| though we deal with them in TC meetings, I realize that I've never been
| sure just where they sit, since the 'standard' site for them appears to be
| sourceforge.... Are they officially part of the TC work or not?  If they
| are, then the charter should include that also.

They have never been an official TC work product. They're owned,
collectively, by the community that maintains them. If I was pressed
to name specific individuals, I suppose I'd start with the
administrators at the DocBook project on SourceForge, namely myself,
Michael Smith, and Bob Stayton. In a more general sense, I would
credit all of the 22 developers on the project and the community that
supports, enhances, debugs, tests, and deploys them.

Although we mention them from time to time in the course of TC
discussions, I try very hard to limit those discussions to aspects
related to DocBook at large and to stress that that implementation is
not more important or significant than other implementation of
a DocBook application.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Where it is permissible both to
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | die and not to die, it is an abuse
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | of valour to die.-- Mencius