Subject: annotation proposal

Hi all,
I'm am following up on my action item to submit a
updated proposal for annotations.  Here I provide some
background, a summary, and the proposal.

I've made some innovations here, so I'm hoping we can have
some email discussion before our meeting next Wednesday.

Background
---------------------------
Here is a listing of the key discussions of annotations
over the last 3(!) years.

June 2002: Started discussion of annotations in TC:
  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook/200206/msg00152.html

June 2002: Paul described many issues regarding annotations:
  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook/200206/msg00153.html

June 2002: Mike mentions using a second element for simple annotations:
  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook/200206/msg00182.html

August 2002: Norm starts playing with annotations in response to
Paul's list of issues:
  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook/200208/msg00156.html
    [and follow-up messages]

March 2003: Mike submits TC proposal for single annotation element:
  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/200303/msg00001.html

August 2003: Short TC discussion where out-of-line annotations suggested:
  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook/200308/msg00037.html

June 2004: Mike again proposes single annotation element that is a child
of the annotated element:
  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/200406/msg00003.html

June 2004: Norm responds to Mike's proposal with many questions
and issues:
  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/200406/msg00005.html

September 2004: Norm posts his "Annotations" essay on his website;
includes inline and block examples, and several follow-up comments:
  http://norman.walsh.name/2004/09/10/annotations

September 2004: TC discusses Mike's proposal, differentiates between
simple and complex annotations:
  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/200409/msg00016.html

September 2004: Norm posts his "Annotation Markup" essay, showing
inline and block annotation markup:
  http://norman.walsh.name/2004/09/16/annotationMarkup

October 2004: TC merges discussion with Accessibility, proposes