Subject: Re: [docbook-tc] annotation proposal

/ "Bob Stayton" <bobs@sagehill.net> was heard to say:
| By using two different attachment mechanisms for the
| two annotation elements, the distinction between them
| is made even stronger.  I think that is a good thing.
| I don't think <alt> needs any mechanism for
| doing remote annotations or reuse of annotations.
| But <annotation> does.

On the whole, I think that's a fine proposal. Some questions and
comments, in no particular order.

1. I agree we should make the attributes CDATA. That allows, in principle
at least, refersto="somefile.xml#someid"

2. I'm not real wild about the name 'refersto'. What about 'annotates'?

3. Having both directions explicit means you can get mismatches. What
does this mean:

  <para xml:id='p1' annotations='a1 a2'>...

  <annotation xml:id='a1' refersto='p1'>...
  <annotation xml:id='a2' refersto='p2'>...

Is it an error? Does it mean the relationship is 1-way for a2 and
two-way for a1? Does it make sense? Is that what users will want? We
could also propose that they were always two-way and the processor was
required to build the union.

4. Is there any relationship between extended XLink and annotations?

5. Are annotations required to have an xml:id or a refersto?

6. Is this allowed? How is this processed?

7. More generally, where are annotations allowed?

Thanks, Bob!

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Be who you are and say what you
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | feel, because those who mind don't
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | matter and those who matter don't