Subject: Re: [docbook-tc] personblurb in address?

Here's my situation, IHAC that is standardizing on DocBook 4.5 and has a
variety of publications. Most are very straightforward, but they would
also like to publish their Employee Directory using DocBook. That means
for each entry, there will be a name, address, phone, email, etc.

They would also like to put in a biography and/or job description. This
is where I thought personblurb would make the most sense, so the
directory would look something like:
<book>
<title>Employee Directory</title>
<chapter>
<title>Communications Division</title>
  <address>
    <personname>
    </personname>
    <affiliation>
      <orgname>Flatirons Solutions</orgname>
      <orgdiv>Communications</orgdiv>
    </affiliation>
    <email>scott.hudson@flatironssolutions.com</email>
    <phone>303-542-2146</phone>
    <fax>303-544-0522</fax>
    <street>4747 Table Mesa Drive, Suite 200</street>
    <authorblurb><para>Scott likes DocBook. He's a certifiable DocBook
geek, and a member of  the OASIS TC.</para></authorblurb>
  </address>
</chapter>
</book>

Best regards,

--Scott

P.S., Plaxo is just a service I use. I got tired of maintining my
addressbook in multiple places, and it syncs to Outlook and Thunderbird.

Norman Walsh wrote:
> / Scott Hudson <scott.hudson@flatironssolutions.com> was heard to say:
> | according to http://docbook.org/tdg/en/html/address.html, authorblurb
> | is allowed in address. Why is personblurb not also allowed (if the
> | address is describing someone, say in an employee directory, rather
> | than an author)?
>
> | Perhaps personblurb should be part of person.ident.mix?
>
> Both seem a little bizarre to me. Why is the blurb part of the address?
> Note that in 5.0, neither is allowed.
>
>   http://docbook.org/tdg5/en/html/address.html
>
> Allowing biblioref looks a bit odd in there but it's a consequence of
> allowing link and xref. I'm not sure what I think about that.
>
> | /Add me to your address book.../
> | <https://www.plaxo.com/add_me?u=17180023598&v0=298305&k0=537541243>
>
> Is plaxo a service that you're using personally, or something that
> Flatiron uses? (Just curious.)

Flatirons Solutions
/*Vision. Experience. Engineering Excellence.*/
<http://www.flatironssolutions.com>

*Scott Hudson*
/Senior Consultant/

*Flatirons Solutions*