Subject: Re: DocBook for Commercial Publishing (expanding our world view)

Hi Keith,

thanks for the info. I've very pleased to know that you are using a full
version of DocBook! Do you have plans to move to 5.0 after it is made
official?

Are there any additional features that would help meet your needs as a
commercial publisher (that would also benefit other DocBook users)?

DocBook 5, for example, adds a <cover> element to the <info> to help
generate book covers. I have also seen a need to create an endorsements
page for commercial publications.

Best regards,

--Scott

Keith Fahlgren wrote:
> Scott wrote:
>  > You already are aware that O'Reilly has created a "DocBook Lite"
>  > variant in order to publish their document. They are not alone, and in
>  > fact, we  do business with a number of large-scale commercial
>  > publishers at Flatirons. There are some issues with the current
>  > element set, that force us to create variants of DocBook in order to
>  > support commercial publishing needs, rather than being able to create
>  > valid subsets.
>
> Hi,
>
> Just to be clear, O'Reilly did create a subset of Docbook called
> "DBLite," but has now abandoned it completely (quite a while ago,
> actually). O'Reilly now uses DocBook 4.4 as an authoring format and for
> many internal systems (including customizations to DocBook-XSL for our
> commercial publishing needs).
>

> HTH,
> Keith

begin:vcard
fn:Scott Hudson
n:Hudson;Scott
org:Flatirons Solutions
adr:Suite 200;;4747 Table Mesa Drive ;Boulder;CO;80305;USA
email;internet:scott.hudson@flatironssolutions.com
title:Consultant
tel;work:303-542-2146
tel;fax:303-544-0522