Subject: Re: [docbook-tc] Charter update

My 2 cents below...

Richard Hamilton wrote:
> I have been looking at the DocBook TC charter as part of my action item
> to update the deliverables and clarify the charter with respect to the
> publishing sub-committee. I have several questions that I hope the group
> can help with.  Here they are:
>
> 1) With EBNF, HTML Forms, MathML, and SVG as part of the standard,
> either explicitly or through namespaces, these modules are no longer
> maintained separately. I plan to remove references to these specific
> modules from the charter, but leave in the reference to possible new
> modules. Does that sound like the right approach?

Sounds right to me.
> 2) I can find no reference to Simplified DocBook in any recent minutes,
> and don't remember if we ever discussed it in the context of 5.0. Do we
> want to create a simplified version of 5.0, and if so, what might a
> reasonable schedule be as a target for the charter? Right now, I have a
> placeholder, v1.2 in Q1-2009.

With the schema optimization/modularization we've done with Norm on the
Publishers schema, it'd be pretty easy to create (should be mostly
core.rnc with perhaps a few changes, right?). With the ability to create
specific schemas to meet the needs of specific industries, perhaps
simplified is no longer needed, though?
> 3) Do we want to specify a tentative date (quarter) for V5.1?

I'd guess Q2 at the earliest.
> 4) The charter lists the following users of DocBook: Debian, Fedora,
> FreeBSD, GNOME, Hewlett-Packard, IBM Linux Technology Center, KDE, Linux
> Documentation Project, Mandrakelinux, PHP, Red Hat, SUSE, Subversion,
> and Sun Microsystems. What should be added or deleted (I know that
> Mandrakelinux needs to be changed to Mandriva), or do we need this
> section at all?

I think it's good marketing to keep our list up to date. Wonder if the
wiki is more or less up to date?
http://wiki.docbook.org/topic/WhoUsesDocBook

Best regards,

--Scott