OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

docbook-tc message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 20 April 2011

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 20 April 2011

The DocBook Technical Committee met on Wednesday, 20 April 2011 at
01:00p EDT for 90 minutes.

1. Roll call

Dick Hamilton, Nancy Harrison, Scott Hudson,
Jirka Kosek, Larry Rowland, Bob Stayton

Paul Grosso, Norm Walsh

Gershon Joseph

2. Accepted the minutes [1] of the previous meeting.

3. Next meeting: 18 May 2011

Dick has conflict.

4. Review of the agenda.

No new items.

5. Review of open action items

  a.  Larry to review the DocBook 5.1 schema to see if it reflects
      his notion of the current state of play for assembly.

  b.  Jirka to write the simplification proposal as a new appendix of
      the transclusion document.

  c.  Norm to ask what the submitter of RFE 3163121 intends to do with the preface
      if not print it as a book? (Completed 3/16)

  d.  Norm to add dediction to article (RFE 3171553).

  e.  Norm to add class="other" and otherclass attributes to systemitem.
      (RFE 3174769)

  f.  Norm to allow xi:include in set (RFE 3199793).

6.  Publishers Schema promotion

a. Add to docbook.org.

Scott wanted to create a flattened single-file version of
the Publishers schema, but was not successful.
Otherwise we will have to create a zip file for all the modules.
Jirka suggests that he can do it.

ACTION: Jirka to create single file Publishers schema.

b.  Stylesheets.

Scott says some XSL stylesheets may be available for Publishers
from Nik Gibson.  

c.  Documentation

The Publishers Schema should be added to DocBook: The Definitive
Guide. Nancy wonders where it should appear and how it
should be presented.  Maybe we should write a separate
article too.

ACTION: Bob to query Norm about adding Publishers Schema to TDG.

7.  Simplified DocBook 5

Scott suggested we needed driver file to define it and
a means to create a flattened schema file.

Nancy: are there any changes in DocBook 5 that affect Simplified?

Bob: continue to only support article, not book?
Since we have Publishers for books, we can keep
Simplified with just article.  We should keep
it close to the version based on DocBook 4.5.

ACTION: Bob to send note to Norm asking if he can create
a Simplified DocBook 5 schema. Scott said he could help.

8.  DocBook assembly.

Bob: What steps are needed to complete this work?

Larry: need to finalize the schema. He needed the latest
version from SourceForge, but could not build assembly
from SVN.  He will work with Norm to get the latest,
and the compare it to the minutes to make sure it
represents all the changes that have been discussed.
He will raise any issues that come up in email.

Question was asked about XSL support for processing

ACTION: Bob to update his XSL stylesheet for building a
DocBook document from an assembly.

Larry suggested later also implementing an XSL to
generate DocBook website from an assembly.

Norm has written a chapter in the 5.1 TDG [2]
that needs reviewing for the latest updates.

Dick was wondering if assembly could be generalized
beyond DocBook for use by other schemas.  Larry
said some DocBook specific elements would need
to be modified.

When the schema and stylesheets are available, Scott said
he could do some experimental work with converting content.

9.  Transclusion in DocBook.

Jirka submitted an update [3] to this proposal adding
Appendix D describing a simpler alternative proposal
from Hussein Shafie.

Nancy was concerned that it did not allow overrides,
which has become important in DITA, even though it
complicates things.

Bob: we seem to be leaning toward a simplified
transclusion mechanism.  
If we simplify, we need to remember that the
original motivation was to overcome the limitations
of XInclude, the primary one being ID duplication
for repeated content.

Larry: Also, different implmentations of XInclude support
different schemes, so not compatible between tools.
A DocBook implementation in XSL would be universal.

Dick: basic choice is using an empty element with
@ref attribute, or use a dedicated ref element.

ACTION: Jirka will write up a comparison of these
two approaches.

Nancy: has a DocBook transclusion processor
been implemented?

Jirka: yes, in XSLT 2.0. It could be ported to XSLT 1.0.

Nancy: is order of processing of conditional text and
transclusions important? Jirka thinks we can do
transclusions first and then conditional text.

ACTION: Nancy will review the DITA discussion of this
issue of processing order.

Dick: if we want support in XML editing tools, then being
unnecessarily different from DITA's conref will
limit that support.

Scott: do we want another meeting before 18 May?
The TC decided to wait to see how much progress we
can make in the next week before deciding through
email to have another meeting.

10.  Review of Requests for Enhancement

    To browse a specific RFE, enter the URL (on one line):


    RFEs to revisit for 6.0
      1907003  biblioid content model too broad  

    RFEs under discussion
      1679665  Add better support for modular documentation  
      2820190  add a topic element  
      2820947  Ability to transclude text 
      3035565  Allow sections at any level  
      3107140  aconym expansion inline 
      3146537  HTML forms elements are missing from DocBook 5 schemas  
      3156768  <result> tag
      3163121  Add <preface> as a child of <set> 

    New RFEs 
      3227210  missing attributes for informaltable (html)  


      3274136  Production markup is too limiting 
      3287339  Add ISTC to class attribute for biblioid 

ACTION: Bob to investigate ISTC and report to the TC.


[1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201103/msg00010.html
[2] http://docbook.org/tdg51/en/html/ch06.html
[3] http://docbook.org/docs/transclusion/#d6e445

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]