Subject: Table accessibility, summary and HTML5

Hi Jirka, et al,

I'm sure you've seen the latest draft of the DocBook Publishers spec, so I am not including it here.

The DITA TC raised a concern about the table summary, since caption is used for the title on output to HTML. Since HTML5 has deprecated the use of the @summary on table, we need to find a better option.

I did find this:
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/tabular-data.html#table-descriptions-techniques

If we did that, it would mean adding a details and summary element to CALS? I'm not sure that's a good way to go. We could just add an @summary, and then rely on the output processors/transforms to take the @summary and populate it appropriately?

Thoughts?

Thanks and best regards,

--Scott
Scott Hudson   |   PELCO  by Schneider Electric   |   United States  |   Standards Lead
Phone:
 +1 970 282 1952  |  Mobile: +1 720 369 2433