Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Building jadetex...

Gilles Lamiral <lamiral@mail.dotcom.fr> writes:

> I've done all that job (before posting my first message, in fact).
> I've reinstalled every package with apt-get. The install process
> was not completely successful. I've succeeded in building "latex.fmt"
> and "jadetex.fmt", but they are in the building directory (~root :-)
> I need to place them in the TeX hierarchy, but where ?

Um... you shouldn't be building the stuff manually.  In Debian, when
you install jadetex, it should compile itself.  It uses the 'fmtutil'
program, wchih put the memory dumps (.fmt files) in the right place.

90% of the time, the errors are caused by people keeping configuration
files in /etc/texmf/.  I suggest actually purging then reinstalling
the tetex-* packages.  Keep backups of your tex config if you really
need to modify that.

BTW, I'm the Debian JadeTeX maintainer.  I'd be happy to help you
diagnose your problems.  Please correspond with me privately though.
This list is not for diagnosing TeX problems.