Subject: DOCBOOK: DocBook XML formatting

Hi,

I'm fairly new to DocBook and am having a little trouble figuring out
the best ways to product HTML and print output from my DocBook XML
files. My goal is to have a easily customizable method of generating
HTML and PDF from DocBook XML.

I've been using Norm's XSLT stylesheets which work well, however it is
difficult for me to understand how to customize their output. I've done
some work on writing my own stylesheets and my own chunking script, but
I'd rather not reinvent the wheel just because I don't understand how
the wheel I've got works.

Does anyone have suggestions, recipes, or examples for customizing the
XSLT formatting? For example, I'd like to control the headers and
footers along with the placement of the table of contents on the
titlepage. I'd also like to know more about how to control chunk.pl, for
example, how can I change the file naming convention that it uses?

I've decided to try out the DocBook DSSSL style sheets and am having
some trouble. I've got jade installed and I'm trying to figure out how
to create a catalog file for the DocBook XML DTD. It does not come with
a catalog file, though the SGML DTD does come with one which gives me
some idea of where to go.

Does anyone know what the catalog file for the DocBook XML DTD should
look like? Is there any documentation or examples of using XML with the
DSSSL style sheets besides the placeholder in the DSSSL documentation?

Thanks very for your help, and please let me know if this is not the
right forum for asking these kinds of questions.

-Amos

--
Amos Latteier         mailto:amos@digicool.com
Digital Creations     http://www.digicool.com