Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Including OS Version information on DocBook elements

On Tue, Dec 21, 1999 at 09:04:16AM -0500, Norman Walsh wrote:
> | This is probably not the best approach.  My DSSSL isn't up to it, but I
> | imagine that a DSSSL (or XSL) script to do the same thing would be better,
> | in that it would reduce the number of tools required in order to build the
> | docs.  I would be very interested in someone reimplementing the logic of
> | the code in DSSSL.
>
> It would be non-trivial.

Does DSSSL not have an associative array type?

> Especially since it would have to vary
> from system to system. You're asking the stylesheet to do a fair
> number of things to determine if RELENG_2_1_3 is in between
> RELENG_2_1_0 and RELENG_2_2.

I was envisioning a callback[1] that takes two or three parameters, and
returns a boolean, indicating whether or not the element should be retained.

The first parameter indicates the test required, either 'equal', 'min',
'max', or 'minmax', and parameters two and three are the attribute values
as necessary.

This callback could be one big if statement -- not particularly elegant,
but it would work.

The default callback (as supplied by your stylesheets <grin/>) would ignore
the parameters, and return 1 all the time, so that all the elements are
included.  Customisation layers could then override this callback as
necessary, and add their own processing as necessary.

Of course, you've done more than enough already.  Perhaps someone else
feels up to the challenge?

[1] I am hereby exposing my ignorance of DSSSL.  I don't even know if this
    term has significance in a language like DSSSL.
--
    If you want to imagine the future, imagine a tennis shoe stamping
    on a penguin's face forever.