Subject: DOCBOOK: Re: Including OS Version information on DocBook elements

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:

|   The semantic that Nik's after goes well beyond what marked
|   sections can provide.

Okay, you're right.  But simple cases are solvable with marked section
right now.  You can mark a section as "version-from-1.2-to 2.1" and to
include this section if appropriate.  AFAIK, nesting and overlapping are
not possible?

The attribute solution has the following drawbacks: At certain points
you'll have to add elements to produce a valid DocBook document (two
title elements in sequence are not allowed) or to add elements to have a
possibility to add the needed info at all (part of a para element might
belong to a special version).  The proposed solution is to use phrase
elements; this was discussed earlier this year.

|   And using XML instead of SGML makes writing applications to perform
|   these sorts of semantic transformations nearly infinitely easier.

Application, yes.  But I've said that it's more convinient for the user
enter data in SGML (OMITTAG, SHORTTAG); at least, it's easier for some
users who don't have advanced SGML/XML editors available.

Thanks for reading -- my english isn't the best; at times it might sound
harsh (sorry, Nik).  I always get in a fury if I've feeling someone
tries to solve a problem already solved (re-invent the wheel).

Merry Xmas -- now, I'm on holidays :-)

--
work    : ke@suse.de                          |
        : http://www.suse.de/~ke/             |       ------    ,__o