Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: RFC -> DocBook converter

At 1:19 AM +1000 5/18/00, Chuck Dale wrote:
>Before I start thinking about writing a Perl script to do this I was
>wondering if this had been done before? What about more generic
>Formatted text -> DocBook conversion?

It's not as simple as it seems from one RFC.  As one of the first
demos of a technology I helped develop called Metaphoria
(http://www.metaphoria.net/), we created an app that presented a
real-time view of the RFCs, parsing them on-demand into sections and
presenting them as hyperlinked HTML with tables of contents, etc.

A few of the gotchas I can recall are:  The RFCs often have
ASCII-based drawings, which are hard to detect.  There are also
different ways that they express section numbers (or not at all), and
some of them have a table of contents that you have to get past
before you find the content.  Furthermore, some of them have errors
and internal inconsistencies (like a section 13.1 without a section
13, etc.)

It's probably not impossible to create a processor that would handle
all of the RFCs, but we eventually found it to be subject to the law
of diminishing returns.  It may be more useful to take a subset of
the RFCs you consider "interesting", and just deal with them.

| Dave Makower                                 <davemak@iclick.com> |
| Director of Portal Architecture & Development                     |
|   iClick, Inc.                 |   (914) 872-8030                 |
|   120 Bloomingdale Road        |   (914) 872-8100   fax           |
|   3rd Floor                    |   (914) 872-8000   main          |
|   White Plains, NY  10605      |   http://www.iclick.com/         |