Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: DocBook markup and possibly a RFE.

Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk> writes:

> On Fri, May 19, 2000 at 10:24:38AM -0300, Jorge Godoy wrote:
> > I don't know... I think that it's a command when:

> > But I don't think it's a command when:
> >
> > <para>One great utility is <????>grep</????>, which can be accessed
> > through the command <command>grep</command>, and is very helpful while
> > searching for something inside text files.</para>
>
>    <citerefentry>
>      <refentrytitle>grep</refentrytitle>
>      <manvolnum>1</manvolnum>
>    </citerefentry>
>
> The stylesheets turn this in to grep(1), which is probably what you want.
> Given some DSSSL magic, they can even turn it in to links to an online
> CGI manual page reference.
>
> Sadly, it's a pain in the backside to type.  So I'm trying to get people
> to use the same approach the FreeBSD Documentation Project uses.  See
>
>     http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/doc/share/sgml/man-refs.ent
>
> for the file that contains the entities, and
>
>     http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/doc/en_US.ISO_8859-1/books/handbook/book.sgml
>
> for an example of how to load that file in to your document.  Your example
> above would then become:
>
>     <para>One great utility is &man.grep.1;, and is very helpful while
>       searching for something inside text files.</para>

Nick,

Although this works, I don't think this is the optimal
solution... Having to have all man pages in a file defined as entities
isn't the best solution... There should be a better way to do
that. What happens when someone creates a new program and wants it's
man pages marked up with DocBook? This same person won't know how to
mark it up since it only used this entity approach (But he'll have a
time gain while it supplies his needs).

I wasn't thinking on man pages, but this same question has been asked
on LDP discussion list...

As a common Unix/Linux/FreeBSD/NetBSD/etc problem, I think this could
be reviewed.

--
Godoy.	<godoy@conectiva.com>

Departamento de Publicações
Publishing Department                   Conectiva S.A.