Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Why are legalnotices dropped?

On Thu, 29 Nov 2001 18:19:23 +0000, Dave Pawson wrote:
> At 11:47 29/11/2001 -0600, Scott Bolte wrote:
>
> >         At this point I'm going to abandon the use of legalnotice
> >         and use a warning or something else that will highlight
> >         the importance of the message. Before I do that though,
> >         I'd like to make sure I'm not missing some reliable way to
> >         get the notices included, and to ask what the logic is
> >         behind not including a legal notice.
>
> Same logic as specifying most 'front page stuff'.
> Your needs are different to mine, his, hers and mostly everyone else's.
>
> Hence what I want for 'my' docbook output is fully specified in my own
> (not the downloaded docbook stylesheets) stylesheets which then
> override and include Norms styling.

	Dave,

	I'm not challenging the architectural design that allows
	local stylesheets to override, yet build on, the default
	stylesheets.  (Though it is obvious that I am not yet facile
	enough with them for me to realize that was the answer to
	my first question.) I think it is great, though I would
	rather minimize the auxiliary tasks necessary to create
	the documents. That will improve the chances that my
	successor will be able to maintain what I create.

	My larger question was, I guess, philosophical. The reason
	I tried legalnotice in the first place was because I assumed
	it would be used for important stuff, stuff that will be
	faithfully reproduced in all typical output formats.  I
	was taken aback to have my "This is a draft copy" disclaimer
	disappear and wanted to know why.

	I have a copy of the definitive guide (Thanks Norm!) and
	will dig into the section on overriding stylesheets.

		Scott