Subject: DOCBOOK: Re: Functions like php.net

/ Daniel Veillard <veillard@redhat.com> was heard to say:
|   Hum, I'm being converted to python ATM [*], and may I suggest that if you
| add support for optional args, it would be a good idea to add defaulted
| values support too then '[, int number = value]'

So we'd wind up with something like methodparam:

(modifier*,type?,
 ((parameter,initializer?)|
  funcparams),
 modifier*)

Which would allow, for example,

  <modifier>const</modifier>
  <type>char *</type>
  <parameter>string</parameter>
  <initializer>"foo"</initializer>

(Not that 'const' and an initializer are likely to be right in the same decl :-)

But still wouldn't handle optionality very well...

I think I favor

  <modifier>const</modifier>
  <type>char *</type>
  <parameter choice="opt">string</parameter>
  <initializer>"foo"</initializer>

over a wrapper, but mostly just because <option> and <optional> are both taken.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | The things we have most longed for
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | do not happen; or if they do, it
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | is never at the time nor under the