Subject: DOCBOOK: Re: Glossary

/ Katharina Udemadu <katharina.udemadu@WiredMinds.de> was heard to say:
| Is there anyone who has experience in selecting particular GlossEntries
| for processing?
>
| My plan is to create one big Glossary that contains GlossEntries related
| to different products (for
| company internal usage).
| As part of the product documentation, I want to create product-related
| glossaries.
| Can anyone give me advice how I can proceed?

The stylesheets support an interesting feature for doing
bibliographies this way, but it won't work as well for GlossEntrys
(because they can't be empty).

Can you impose the following constraint:

  A term will appear in the glossary if and only if there is a <glossterm>
  that links to it?

If you can, and if you're using XSLT, I can think of a clever way to
do this. :-)

| I noticed that there is an attribute SortAs for GlossEntry - what is it
| used for (I don't understand the description.)? Any Example?

<glossentry sortas="one stop shopping">
<glossterm>1-Stop Shopping</glossterm>

It's designed to allow symbolic terms (and perhaps terms in other
languages) to be collated differently.

But the stylesheets don't currently sort glossentries, so it's not used.
I suppose that's a bug. Someone report it at SourceForge, please :-)

| And one final glossary-related question: what is the correct markup for
| synonyms (another word
| used for the GlossTerm)?

<glossentry id="loop.infinite">
<glossterm>Loop, Infinite</glossterm>
<glossdef>
<para>A loop that never terminates.</para>
</glossdef>
<glossseealso>Infinite Loop</glossseealso>
</glossentry>

<glossentry id="infinite.loop">
<glossterm>Infinite Loop</glossterm>
<glosssee>Loop, Infinite</glosssee>
</glossentry>

Yes, it's a shame that there's no way to make the see and see also terms
proper links. Someone could report that, too :-)

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | It's all fun and games until
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | someone loses an eye. Then it's
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | just fun with a pirate.