Subject: RE: DOCBOOK: Re: Extra Spaces Caused by <indexterm>s

Anywhere in mixed content in any DTD; this is not a property of DocBook.

Kind regards
Peter Ring

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeffrey Oldham [mailto:oldham@codesourcery.com]
Sent: 5. marts 2002 19:18
To: Norman Walsh
Cc: docbook@lists.oasis-open.org; Jeffrey Oldham
Subject: DOCBOOK: Re: Extra Spaces Caused by <indexterm>s

Thanks for the explanation.  The answer may be obvious to someone who
understands the implementation, but it is not obvious to me.  TeX
would merge a series of spaces and newline characters into one
whitespace.  It seems that an indexterm's actual contents are not
rendered, but it has some tricky type of spaciness that uncareful
users can reveal.  In contrast, if I construct a DocBook file with a
lot of blank lines, they are compressed into a single space.

For what other DocBook tags should I be careful about this type of
spaciness?