Subject: DOCBOOK: Re: Issues with processing expectations of the proposedannotation element

/ Michael Smith <smith@xml-doc.org> was heard to say:
| I hesitate to say this, but it seems like the best way to have
| something to use for HTML title attributes would be to add a new
| global common attribute -- an annotation attribute -- in addition to
| an annotation element (if we decide to add one), not in place of it.

I don't like that idea at all. I've come to the conclusion that
putting human readable text in attributes is a bad idea. It has I18N
problems and it tends to "hide" content.

| We've had an open RFE for a while now -- RFE 522552, "Add title
| attribute to element":
|
|   http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=522552&group_id=21935&atid=384107
|
| The text of that RFE requests a new attribute specifically for
| annotations on Ulinks, to generate title attributes on HTML
| hyperlinks. But it seems like if we were to decide to do that, the new
| attribute should just be made a common attribute -- I think the HTML
| title attribute is valid on any element that can appear in the body of
| an HTML page, so things like <p> and <span> can have titles also.

I'm hoping that we can address this RFE with some sort of annotation
element. (Or not at all.)

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Extinction, n. The raw material
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | out of which theology created the
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | future state.--Ambrose Bierce