Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: argh ... how do i define page breaks using CSS?

On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, Stefan Seefeld wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   probably off topic for this list, but the only outstanding
> > issue i have is how to force page breaks before each "<section>".
> > and by that, i mean each section, regardless of its level.
> >
> >   what i want is a CSS definition that lets me say i want a
> > page break before every <chapter> element and every <section>
> > element.  as it stands, i get a page break before every
> > first-level section in a chapter, and that's it.  i've checked
> > on google, added what looks like the right directive to the
> > css file -- no luck.
>
> uhm, what is a page in html ? Are you talking about getting
> separate html files for sections ? That's done with the chunker,
> and there are parameters in the xsl stylesheets to control the
> granularity of the chunks.
>
> I can't see how css relates to pages, but may be you are talking
> about something entirely different.

no, i'm just explaining this badly.  yes, i'm referring to chunking.
as a basis for my first docbook manual, i used tim waugh's
"selfdocbookx" example.  one of the .xsl files refers to a .css
file, so i figured i'd add a "page-break-before" directive in
that file to break before every section.  didn't work.
as it stands, each first-level section is generated as a chunk,
when i'd really like *every* section directive to define a new
chunk.

i've read everything i can find, and haven't figured out how to
fix this.

rday