Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Uniq values of "ID" attributes

On Sun, Jul 28, 2002 at 07:06:26PM +0400, Vitaly Ostanin wrote:
> Dave Pawson wrote:
> > At 05:34 28/07/2002, Vitaly Ostanin wrote:
> >
> >>Hello!
> >>
> >>1.
> >>I'm join modular DocBook/XML documents and get errors for already
> >>declared values of ID attributes (each in separated documents).
> >>
> >>It's possible to do common attribute "id" uniq not for all document, in some levels only ?
> >
> > No, the id values must be unique to the whole document you are parsing.
>
> Then authors of modular documents must to use long name values
> for id's. And this names will depend of document's structure :( Ok.
>
> May be usable adding element for use XPointer or XLink
> functionality ?

The DocBook Technical Committee is just starting the process
of looking at XLinks for the DTD.  At some point this may
be a feature.

> >>2.
> >>It's possible to add <fallback> element within <xref> element ? And also for all idref's attributes?
> >
> > I don't think so, but I'm not sure I understand.
> > Do you have an example?
>
> Sorry. In XInclude within element <xi:include> exist element
> <xi:fallback> for control errors of includes.

The <xi:fallback> element is not yet supported in the only
Xinclude processor I know, which is xsltproc.

But xref is not an xinclude, so I'm not sure how this
applies.  Do you mean you want xref to be able to declare
some fallback text if the generated text is not available?

> In DocBook DTD "idref" attributes point to "id" which must exist,
> right? It's possible to add element, which will control situation
> when "id" not exist in current edition ? "id" may be visible
> after join of documents.

That's true, and you don't find out until you vaildate the
joined document.  I don't know of another tool that can check
across includes or system entities for ID/IDREFs.

                                            email: bobs@caldera.com