Subject: DOCBOOK: Re: itemized list within <para> or after </para>??

/ "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@mindspring.com> was heard to say:
|   is it proper to make the itemized list a sub-element of the
| paragraph, or to close the <para> and have the itemized list
| as the next element at the same level?

Yes. (i.e. both are proper.)

|   aesthetically, it doesn't appear to make any difference, but
| TDG under "Para" suggests that "Some processing systems may find
| the presence of block elements in a paragraph difficult to
| handle". (p. 351)

In particular, transformation to HTML will produce invalid HTML with
some tools. (Because HTML doesn't allow blocks in paragraphs).

|   so, any strong opinions either way?

I'm sure there are. :-) But at the end of the day, it's a matter of
style.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Mountains appear more lofty the
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | nearer they are approached, but
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | great men resemble them not in