Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: DSSSL or XSL

On Wed, 2002-07-31 at 15:36, Yann Dirson wrote:

> I'd say it depends on your needs - if you give more details we'll be
> able to give a better answer.

Here are some of the requirements that i don't know if they are possible
by changing "params.dsl" (if using dsssl):
- Every page should have a arab number, starting with the "face" page
(the first one)
-The "face" page has several things beyond title and subtitle
(eventually I will have to extend docbook with a few elements to get
this)

- The order of some sections
	Thanks
	Summarys (abstracts)
	Dedications
	Simbols e notation
	Indexes (TOC, TOF, TOB)
 	Introduction (not a chapter)
	(chapters)+

- Every figure and table have to be numbered in the following way
<chapter number>.<[figure|table] number>

That's about it

> We don't have a full-fledged dsssl engine yet (openjade does not
> support full page-sequences), so if your faculty's rules are too
> complex (eg. multicolumn changes within a page, images within
> headers/footers) this may unfortunately not suit your needs.

Fortunately they don't define the rules to apply to multicolumn texts,
nor do they define the contents of headers and footers.

> OTOH, the general opinion usually expressed on this list is that the
> XSL toolchains to produce printed output are less mature than the
> DSSSL one.

This is my feeling also.

So far I've produced some documents with the "standard" Norman Walsh's
DSSSL stylessheets, but this one is trickier.

Thanks

--
        Mario Filipe
        mjnf@uevora.pt