Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: docbook vs latex

>From: Doug du Boulay <ddb@R3401.rlem.titech.ac.jp>
>To: docbook@lists.oasis-open.org
>Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: docbook vs latex
>Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 19:03:22 +0900
>
>the <mml:math> tag cleanly separates the actual mathematics from
>the surrounding paragraph information. Contrast that with the
>relegation of maththeorem to a perverted  mml: module like this
>
><mml:math>
><mml:maththeorem>
><mml:title>
><mml:para>
><mml:inlineequation>
>       <mml:apply><mml:divide/></mml:apply>
></mml:inlineequation>
></mml:para>
></mml:title>
></mml:maththeorem>
></mml:math>

Well, I honestly don't know if MathML provides the document-level blocks
that would be needed (you might need a separate module, for that).  However
it certainly shouldn't be polluted with things like title, para,
inlineequation, etc.  The standard DocBook versions of those elements should
be used.

Furthermore, what's needed is a schema language (sorry, I don't know
anything about the W3C XML Schema Language) in which a module can allow
specific *classes* of the standard DocBook elements within the content
models of the elements it provides.  While cases like 'title' and 'para'
would best be addressed explicitly, a module should be able to implicitly
add its own elements to the content models of elements provided by other
modules (by appending them to some sort of class).  Similarly, it should be
able to selectively contribute its elements for use in both specific docbook
elements and classes of elements, but also in unknown elements provided by
other modules.

(from a subsequent message):

>I guess Matt's last email and this message from the archives pretty well
>hits the nail on the head:
>http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook/200202/msg00087.html

Sugoi desu - thanks for digging that up!  Domo arigatou gozaimasu.

Matt Gruenke