Subject: Re: XInclude vs. external entities (Re: DOCBOOK: The best way to'include' parts...)

On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 12:49:29PM +0200, Janning Vygen wrote:
> Question: Can I use XMLCatalog with XInclude. Dont know much about
> XMLCatalogs but i think you can do a url to filename mapping with it.
> If xou could use it together with XInclude then you get back the
> "level of indirection"

  In the libxml2/libxslt framework that's definitely the case. All
"entities" loading goes through the resolver layer (except for the
XML Catalog files themselves) and if you have an XML Catalog structure
it will get used.

> Another important advantage of XInclude is the possibility to put
> doctype declaration in the modular doc to validate it seperatly from
> the main document AND you can use entites in each file which is not
> possible within external entities.

  That's also where I found one of the disadvantage of XInclude, in
term of processing power, each included chunk reference the DTD, which
get parsed and loaded, and I had to seriously revamp my code base
(not released yet it's in CVS) because the GNOME guys were starting
to include as much as 80 different chunks and I had some memory consumption
problem (imagine 80 times the DocBook DTD loaded in memory :-\, fixed now).

Daniel