Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: including elements with xpointers xincludes

Ljósálfr wrote:

> I would like to include a specific element from one file in another
> file. For example. I have a glossary in which every entry has a shot
> definition, and perhaps a longer definition.  I want to pull the
> content of the short <glossdef/> into one of the chapters in my book.
> I've been attempting things such as:
>
> <xi:include xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude";
> href="../glossary.xml#xpointer(id('urđrshort')/*)"/>
>
> When I run xsltproc on it to generate the target.db, I get "XInclude:
> failed build URL". If I simply use ...#xpointer(id(/glossary/*) I get
> all the entries in the glossary pulled in where the xinclude is
> located. Should I be able to do what I'm attempting?  What is the
> syntax for this?
>
> TIA

This is wrong:
#xpointer(id(/glossary/*)

What I meant to say was this:
<xi:include xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude";

href="../glossary.xml#xpointer(/glossary/*)"/>

I hope no one tried what I originally said worked.  The immediately
previous snippet does pull in all the entries in the glossary.  I don't
know how much of the of the xpointer functionality is working in
xsltproc.  I have not found a great many helpful examples of using
xpointers on the web.  This seems like a very powerful tool.  Are people
using it?

--
STH
Hann er vitrastr ásanna ok fegrst talađr