Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: enumerating role

Bob Stayton wrote:

> Officially the DocBook DTD does not enumerate any
> specific values for the role attribute on any element.
> They are defined as CDATA so they can take any value.

That's why I would like to specify a list of allowed values in the
internal subset. I have my list of allowed values, and I need to
validate them.

For example, I'm doing
   programlisting role="XML"
   (which hopefully will become s.th. like
    programlisting role="snippet" syntax="XML")
and stuff like
   simpara role="NotForPrint"
   ([1])

> However, the stylesheets will respond to certain values
> on certain elements.

Yes, my XSLTs know what to do with these role attribute values. For
example, syntax="XML" turns on XHTML syntax markup for programlistings.

I'll have to see if my role attributes will interfere with the
NW-DBK2FO-XSLTs that I'm using.
(I'm using my own XSLTs to get XHTML, and Norman's XSLTs to get FO.)

> You should scan through the stylesheet parameter reference
> pages to get an idea of how the formatting of
> certain elements might be affected by role values.

Other than deprecated stuff (use.role.as.xrefstyle.html,
profile.role.html) only
   preferred.mediaobject.role.html
   use.role.for.mediaobject.html
seem to remain.

Thanks,

Tobi

[1] Yes I should look at
   http://docbook.sourceforge.net/projects/xsl/doc/tools/profiling.html ,
but a) it's 404, and b) my own mechanism is supersimple and works well
so far. Here's my print filter:
   <t:template match="*[
     @role='InteractiveOnly'
     or
     @role='HTMLOnly'
     or
     @role='DisplayOnly'
     or
     @role='DynamicOnly'
     or
     @role='NotForPrint'
     or
     @role='ColorPic'
     ]"/>
Then there is
doc/fo/profile.role.html
"For this reason it is not recommended to use role attribute for
profiling. You should rather use profiling specific attributes like
userlevel, os, arch, condition, etc."
... I guess I'd need some target media specific profiling attribute
(role print/printBW/hyper would suffice).

--
http://www.pinkjuice.com/