Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Am I using DocBook appropriately?

John

> From a casual overview, it looks good.

Thank you very much for your review.

> I'm impressed with the
> thoroughness of your glossary; I always run out of patience when
> trying to create and maintain one.

:)

I do it because my XSLTs fetch the expansion of each acronym.

> The use of simpara is interesting.  I haven't seen it used much,
> and never use it myself.  I don't think it matters much; I'd be
> curious to hear why it was added to DocBook in the first place.

tdg-en-html-2.0.7/tdg/en/html/simpara.html
"simpara — A paragraph that contains only text and inline markup, no
block elements"

tdg-en-html-2.0.7/tdg/en/html/para.html
"A Para is a paragraph. Paragraphs in DocBook may contain almost all
inlines and most block elements."

So for simple paragraphs I use simpara, and for paragraphs containing
block level elements I use para.

Another strategy would be to use only para, but I like simpara=>p for
text browsers and older browsers.
(simpara can be translated to (X)HTML p, but para elements containing
block elements can not (AFAICS), and can be translated to (X)HTML div.)

> I think numbered sections (like sect1) aren't as common now as
> they once were, with nested sections being used more, but that's
> just an impression I have.  I don't know how accurate it is.

I see; I could simply use section elements and none of sect[1-5].

Thanks again for your review,

Tobi

--
http://www.pinkjuice.com/