Subject: DOCBOOK: OpenOffice.org Conference

Hello,

Apologies for sending this announcment that is not strictly docbook
related, but we feel there may be high interest in this upcoming event.

OpenOffice.org is having a conference in mid-March. This conference will
feature a Standards track where we expect to see some sessions on XML.
XML is the default file format in both OpenOffice.org and StarOffice,
and is currently being standardized through OASIS.   We are currently
looking for speakers as well as participation at the event.  If you are
interested in more information, please see the description below as well
as the website at http://marketing.openoffice.org/conference/.

Regards,
Nancy Lee
Sun Microsystems

      OpenOffice.org Conference (OOoCon 2003)
      March 20th - March 21st 2003
      University of Hamburg, Germany

Meet the community, users, and community sponsors at the first
OpenOffice.org Conference. The conference will take place right after
CeBIT <http://www.cebit.de/intro_channel_e.htm>, which ends March 19th.
Hamburg is only 100 miles (160 Kilometers) from Hannover. The conference
will attract some high-profile keynote speakers from the developer
community, European politics, the open-source movement, and our main
sponsor, Sun Microsystems, Inc. Confirmed keynote speakers are amongst
others the Open Source Advocate Bruce Perens as well as the VP of
Engineering of the Desktop Solutions Group at Sun Microsystems Curtis
Sasaki. The conference will include some limited exhibition space.

Miguel de Icaza and Bruce Perens both say that OpenOffice.org is THE
most important Open Source project because people can try it without
switching from Windows and if they do they'll discover that Open Source
can work for them. They no longer have to pay big bucks for office
productivity.

"I've seen the OpenOffice.org community evolve over the last two years
into a place where Sun and the community really do work together towards
the common goal of making office productivity available at low or no
cost to everyone. Their work is driving a lot of the interest in Open
Source that we're seeing now in emerging markets like India and China.
It is my sincere hope that more developers will show up to work on the
OpenOffice.org project so the community can really make it their own",
says Danese Cooper, Sun's Open Source Diva.

The conference will be the perfect place to exchange ideas with other
contributors or to meet face-to-face with people you have only known
from email.