Subject: DOCBOOK: Re: marking up keycaps according to their semantics

/ Tobias Reif <tobiasreif@pinkjuice.com> was heard to say:
| It should be allowed for  to the control key element to be empty:
|
| <keycombo action="simul">
|    <keycap function="control"/>
|    <keycap>h</keycap>
| </keycombo>
|
| So the change in the DTD would merely be to allow keycap to be empty,
| and add an attribute.

- From the RFE:

  What exactly?

That is the question. At first I thought you were proposing only
Control, Shift, Meta, and Alt. Though I suppose Command and Apple need
to be in there as well. I've forgotten what the meta keys were on a
3270 and a VT100/220. Not to mention the Tectronix displays that I
heard of but never used.

  * enter
  * alt (meta)
  * shift
  * ctrl
  * "arrow keys": up, right, down, left
  * escape
  * backspace
  * tab
  * space
  * delete
  * F1-12

  perhaps also

  * help
  * page up / down
  * command-key (Mac)
  [etc?]

We need to really nail these down. What's missing from this list:

control, shift, meta, alt, command, apple, fn,
esc, f1..f24, printscreen, sysreq, pause, break, windows, menu,
backspace, home, pgup, pgdn, end, tab, backtab, capslock,
up, down, left, right, ins, del

And how does this proposal deal with double-shifted keys? What's the right
markup in this proposal for "Ctrl-Alt-Backspace" and "Alt-Shift-I"?

- --
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | To the man who is afraid
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | everything rustles.--Sophocles
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee |