Subject: [docbook] Re: documenting an API: RFE

	Hi,

	Sorry to add my voice to this line, but I think to have point a
similar problem with "thesauri" on which I just post. You gave me some
piece of answer.

> as it happens, I just filed an RFE concerning multiple 'typed'
> That should make one aspect of what I'm talking about clear.

	I read your tex Reference, and notice Predefined
Indices/concepts index. I'm really interested in the concepts index.
What I need in docbook, is the ability to insert more than one (need a
@qualifier on index engine) concepts tree (not only a flat alphabetic
list), already written (some entries could be without a link in some
books or articles). Those concepts tree could be used for automatic
indexation of docbook, or could be populate by authors entries.

[about a definitionlist]

Not easy to find a new interesting type, adding something to
varlistentry or glosslist. According to the iso5964 I noticed in another
thread, we are using an unofficial XML implementation (outside of
docbook)

<thesaurus>
    <concept id="parent">
        <term xml:lang="fr">parent</term>
        <term xml:lang="en">father</term>
        <term xml:lang="de">vater</term>
        <scope-note>
            <definition xml:lang="fr">a des enfants</definition>
            <definition xml:lang="en">have children</definition>
            <definition xml:lang="de">?</definition>
            <example xml:lang="fr">Vous n'avez pas de parents</example>
            <example xml:lang="en">The cause of your birth</example>
        </scope-note>
        <relations>
            <relation type="child" ref="child"/>
        </relations>
        <concept id="child">
            <term xml:lang="fr">enfant</term>
            <term xml:lang="en">child</term>
            <term xml:lang="fr">enfant</term>
            <relations>
                <relation type="see-also" ref="friend"/>
                <relation type="see-also" ref="brother"/>
            </relations>
        </concept>
        <concept id="brother">
            <term xml:lang="fr">frère</term>
            <term xml:lang="en">brother</term>
            <term xml:lang="fr">bruder</term>
            <relations>
                <relation type="parent" ref="parent"/>
            </relations>
        </concept>
    </concept>
    <concept id="friend">
        <term xml:lang="fr">ami</term>
        <term xml:lang="en">friend</term>
        <relations>
            <relation type="see-also" ref="child"/>
        </relations>
    </concept>
</thesaurus>

The idea is:
 - a thesaurus contains one or more concepts.
 - a concept could contains concepts (child/parent axis).
 - order of concepts could be significant
 - a concept can define other relations (provide for fast flat export
from tables engines, also useful to express see-also)
 - a concept have one or more "term", word image of the idea, terms
could be localised
 - scope-note is not well defined in the iso, could be used as a
container for other infos, at first see: definition, example, misc.

	This could be
 - a data object for a thesaurus engine (indexation/search)
 - an editorial object (with hide/show button for User Interface, with
definitions for print...)
 - a navigation for one book (and better for a set)
 - generable, or better, populatable, by a collection of documents

	I'm sure that docbook team could give better design to that if
they find interests in it. IMHO, it could become an original and success
type like <qandaset/>.

	Fred.