Subject: Re: [docbook] Request: Feedback on proposal for new URI element

Michael Smith wrote:

-----------------
>   1.1 Processing expectations
>
>      Unlike the Ulink element, Uri is not rendered as
>      an actual hyperlink to the content found at the
>      location it references. Instead, it appears as
>      literal text, perhaps distinguished
>      typographically (for example, in monospace or
>      italic type).

I'd be happy if the spec generally would be less media specific. In
aural etc media, there is no italic type.

> 3. Attributes discussion
> ------------------------
>
>   Type
>     Specifies the type of URI. This attribute is
>     provided as a means for users to distinguish
>     categories of URIs from one another. For example,
>     the following set of potential values might be
>     useful under certain circumstances:
>
>       * xmlNamespace
>       * saxFeatureName
>       * saxPropertyName
>       * jaxpFeatureName
>       * soapAction
>       * rddlPurposes
>       * rddlNature
>
> 4. Examples
> -----------
>
>   The correct system identifier to use when referring to
>   the Web location of the DocBook 4.2 DTD is <uri
>     >http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/docbookx.dtd</uri>.

If there is something (eg some data or document) to be found on the
location, then perhaps type="locator" or type="resourceLocator" would
make sense.
Software can try to load the resource; if type != locator, it doesn't
have to try, since there probably is nothing at the other end.

Personally, I'd be happy to have elements uri and url (Can be the same
string, but marked up as locator (url) if used to locate a resource, and
marked up as identifier (uri) when used as such.), but that goes against
the current Zeitgeist AFAICS :)

Tobi

--
http://www.pinkjuice.com/